With a steady stony glance—
Like some bold seer in a trance,
Beholding all his own mischance,
Mute, with a glassy countenance—
She look'd down to Camelot.
It was the closing of the day:
She loos'd the chain, and down she lay;
The broad stream bore her far away,
The Lady of Shalott.
– Alfred, Lord Tennyson, 'The Lady of Shalott'
Every Ballad tells a story, and this dress is no different. A fitted bodice gives the Ballad structure, while evenly spaced pleats give it rhyme. A classic silhouette and length create a narrative, while eight buttons dotting the shoulders give the Ballad an unexpected jolt of life.
- 90% hemp / 10% wool fabric woven in Japan
- Designed, cut, and sewn in Arkansas, USA
- Fit-and-flare dress with structured bodice
- Knife-pleated full skirt
- Semi-fitted three-quarter sleeves
- Four-button closure at each shoulder seam
- Side zip
- Hidden pockets in side seams
- Measures 40.5" long from shoulder
- Gently wash cold and line dry or dry clean, cool iron as needed (learn more about garment care here)
This dress is made of a blend of hemp and wool that is woven in Japan. The fabric is relatively heavyweight, with a dense weave that almost feels like felt. The weave has an organic imperfection which, combined with the faded green color, makes it seem like an antique. Due to the wool, the fabric is a tad scratchy, so make sure to wear something underneath if you have sensitive skin. The fabric is dyed a dark mossy green that, in different lighting, spans the spectrum of light greyish-green to deep forest-y charcoal.
In addition to the fabric, this dress uses cotton thread, a YKK zipper, 8 vintage mother of pearl buttons, silk bias binding/pocket lining, and cotton garment labels.
Take a look at our Size Guide to find your size.
The Ballad Dress is fitted in the bust and the waist, so use both your bust and waist measurements when determining your size. If you fall in between sizes, I recommend sizing down; this dress runs just a tad big.
Alyssa is wearing a size 4 and is 5'8" with a 35" bust, 27" waist, and 37" hip.